Tzatziki is a classic Greek sauce that is traditionally made using plain yogurt, cucumber, lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs. I loooove this sauce, I honestly could throw it on top of pretty much anything!
My favourite way to serve it is with roasted potatoes, on a gyro or on top of baked salmon, but the possibilities are truly endless.
This sauce is super easy to make and healthy- it is high in protein and low in fat. All you need is a few basic ingredients.
Plain Greek yogurt: I use greek yogurt instead of regular plain yogurt because I like mine to be thick, but either one works perfectly fine
Cucumber: You will need to grate and strain out the liquid from your cucumber to ensure your sauce won’t be too watery
Garlic: Any good tzatziki is made with fresh minced garlic, it adds such a flavourful bite
Lemon: Fresh lemon juice is essential to make your tzatziki super fresh tasting
Salt and Pepper: season to taste with salt and pepper to amp up the other flavours!
* Tip: an amazing addition is adding in fresh dill if you have some on hand!
Simple Homemade Tzatziki
- 1 cup plain yogurt, regular or Greek
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber, squeeze out excess liquid
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Grate the cucumber into a bowl. Top with a pinch of salt. Let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dip.
- Add the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and spices to a separate bowl and combine.
- After 5 minutes, put the grated cucumber in a paper towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Add it to the dip and stir.
- Store the tzatziki in an airtight container for 2-3 days.