I’m sure we’ve all tried or at least seen Starbucks famous egg bites before, and yes they are freaking delicious but they are also loaded with a ton of preservatives to keep them fresh, which I don’t really like!
Don’t get me wrong I love grabbing this fast, convenient and yummy breakfast option on long road trips but for an everyday thing, I thought I should make my own healthier version!
These egg bites make the perfect individual grab and go breakfast that you will love. All you’ll need is a few simple ingredients.
Of course you’ll want to start off with some good quality free-range eggs for the base of the egg bites. Eggs are packed with high-quality protein, healthy fats and nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, choline, iron and folate. Next up you will need plain Greek yogurt, this not only provides extra protein but it gives the bites some extra creaminess and flavour. To add even more creaminess I like to add in a tablespoon of milk or half and half, this makes the bites come out more moist and pillowy! Now for the toppings- you can pretty much add whatever vegetables you like to these bites, using up whatever is going bad in your fridge is what I like to do. Some of my favourites to add are peppers, red onion, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms. Lastly, the most important ingredient- the cheese! I love a good old cheddar to give it that sharp flavour.
Once you have all the ingredients ready to go you’ll add them to a muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. Once you let them cool for a few minutes out of the oven, grab a few and serve with a slice of buttered bread, some oranges and nice cup of coffee!
Or throw some in a Tupperware and head out the door. 😉
Let me know if you try them out, I love hearing your thoughts 🙂
Follow me on instagram @gracefullywell_ and tag me in your creations there!
Easy Veggie and Cheese Egg Bites
- Calories 287
- Fat 19g
- Protein 21g
- Carbs 5.6g
- Sugars 4.3g
- Salt 265g
- Fibre 1.1g
- 5-6 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon milk or half and half
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the eggs, half and half, sour cream, salt and pepper together until light and fluffy. Chop the vegetables and grate cheese, set aside.
- Coat a muffin tin with non-stick spray or oil of choice. Add the chopped veggies and cheese evenly into 6 of the muffin cups.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top and mix with a fork to spread out the ingredients.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs are fully cooked.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the tins. Serve with a slice of buttered toast and enjoy!