Now that the weather is warming up and we can spend more time outside (aka more time for BBQ’ing) I wanted to make up a healthier version of my favourite side dish Italian pasta salad! What makes this version healthier is the chickpea pasta used, it is made from chickpeas and lentils and packs this dish with around 23g of protein per serving and 11g of fibre!! Amazing!
This pasta salad makes the perfect side dish for any BBQ you might be attending! I love the fresh crunch you get from the veggies paired with an amazing tangy, herby dressing made with only a few simple ingredients. It is truly delicious and guess what- it gets BETTER the longer you let it sit in the fridge! Imagine that.
What you need to make The Best and Easiest Italian Pasta Salad:
- Fresh veggies: bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion and fresh dill
- Chickpea pasta: I love to use the brand ‘Chickapea’ , but you can also get a cheaper alternative at Bulk Barn🙌
- Seasoning: dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, dried parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil: a good quality olive oil really brings the dressing together! I used a Tuscan flavoured one by a local brand called ‘The Pristine Olive Tasting Bar’
- Apple cider vinegar: this is what gives it that tangy flavour, make sure you get an apple cider vinegar that is unpasteurized and contains ‘the mother’
Now let’s get to the recipe!
If you’ve tried this delicious The Best and Easiest Italian Pasta Salad recipe or any other recipes on Gracefully Well, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
The Best and Easiest Italian Pasta Salad- Gluten and Dairy Free!
- 1 package chickpea pasta, I like Chickapea Organic Spirals
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A few cracks of fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
- Boil pasta according to directions, strain and rinse under cold water to cool
- While the pasta is cooking, chop up the vegetables and fresh dill and place to the side
- In a small bowl add the salt, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, dried parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
- Add the olive oil and apple cider vinegar to the spice mixture and give it a good mix
- In a large bowl, add in the cooled pasta, chopped vegetables and drizzle the dressing over top
- Mix the pasta salad thoroughly and place in the fridge for at least an hour for best results!